Treatment of chronic prostatitis is a difficult problem even for modern medicine, often, despite all the measures taken, the chronic process cannot be completely eliminated. It is believed that reducing the intensity of signs is already an effective result. It should be noted that the clinical picture of tumors (cancer) of the prostate presents a similar picture with the latent course of chronic prostatitis. For differentiation, PSA is determined, the concentration of which is much higher in malignant neoplasms than in the classical inflammatory process.
Treatment of chronic prostatitis is a complex and lengthy procedure that does not always lead to a complete cure.
Classics of meetings
Is there an effective treatment for the chronic form of the disease and can you get rid of it quickly? Such a question is almost always asked by patients to urologists at the reception, and if the first part can be answered in the affirmative, then it will not be possible to get rid of the problem "quickly". Treatment for prostatitis takes exactly as long as it has developed, ie the rest of your life. Completely eliminating chronic prostatitis and making the prostate "new" is in principle impossible. The only thing to do is to stop all unpleasant symptoms and delay the onset of relapses, but only on condition that the man himself strictly follows all the doctor's prescriptions.
A classic example: drug treatment, rectal massage and other methods are prescribed, the more is the normalization of the way of life, the refusal of alcohol. As a rule, drugs are taken, but with the rejection of alcoholic beverages, proper nutrition, the situation is much worse. And many men take the massage with hostility, seeing it as a shameful manipulation. As a result, the treatment prescribed by the doctor turns out to be ineffective due to non-compliance with all the conditions for treatment, and the chronic process turns into impotence and other health problems.
It is important to remember that chronic prostatitis requires deeper attention than acute prostatitis. The course of therapy is multi-component; for a specialist with many years of experience and with the development of modern medicine, the disease is not a problem.
In the phase of exacerbation, the following methods are used:
- Antibiotic therapy.The choice of drug determines the result of culture (sterility) or is based on the assumption of the cause of the disease. For severe fever and pain, drugs are given intravenously. Important: the entire course should be completed until the last day, even if the patient's condition improved by the next day.
- Alpha blockers.Medicines are needed to relieve symptoms by relaxing the bladder neck and muscle fibers where the prostate adjoins the bladder.
- NSAIDs and pain relievers- help treat chronic prostatitis and have an anti-inflammatory effect.
- Rectal massage (direct).The recommended course is 10-12 procedures, carried out professionally, it helps to relieve symptoms and speed up recovery.
These are the main methods that are still used; it is also recommended to perform in addition to physiotherapy by electrical stimulation, laser therapy, electrophoresis.
What will happen if you don't treat?
If the treatment of prostatitis is constantly ignored, in seriously neglected cases it will cause many problems that will completely ruin a man's life:
- Prostate abscess.
- Vesiculitis (inflammation of the seminal vesicles).
- Cysts, stones in the prostate.
- Sclerosis of the prostate.
- Impotence, infertility.
Each of these pathologies requires special attention, and the treatment period will be much longer than with chronic prostatitis. In addition to physical ailments, men develop psycho-emotional instability, they become irritable, sullen, depressed.
The complete picture of therapy
Currently, the treatment regimen for prostatitis includes the following methods and techniques:
- Effective treatment aimed at eliminating the infectious factor (drugs).
- The course of the restoration of blood microcirculation in the small pelvis and prostate.
- Increase the body's immune status.
- Antispasmodic drugs.
- Analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Fortifying drugs and vitamin therapy.
- Local analgesics.
- Physiotherapy and hormone therapy.
- Massage and take tranquilizers (sedatives).
- General methods (normalization of sleep, nutrition and rest).
- Spa treatment.
It should be emphasized that although the advertised treatment is quite comprehensive, on a purely individual basis, the doctor may recommend the patient to use additional methods, including the use of folk remedies (herbal medicine). In addition, for men whose lifestyle is "rather slow" or associated with a long stay in an uncomfortable position which causes stagnation of blood in the pelvis and prostate (office workers, security guards, drivers), it is recommended to take a gymnastics class to eliminate hypodynamia. It is an effective way to speed up the healing of chronic prostatitis and prevent impotence.
Individually, the doctor can recommend the use of folk remedies - herbal medicine.
Treatment for chronic prostatitis is not complete without medication. The appointment should always be made by a doctor, the admission period is strictly individual and should not be interrupted before the end of treatment. Consider the drugs used.
To restore blood circulation
To restore good blood circulation to the prostate, drugs are prescribed to restore blood circulation. Ignoring these funds will not allow the inflammatory process to be completely and in the shortest possible time.
In the chronic form of the disease, a decrease in immunity is a common thing, therefore, one of the main tasks when choosing a treatment is to increase the body's resistance to any disease. Medicines are prescribed according to the immunogram: interferons, thymus preparations, synthetic immunomodulators.
These include drugs from several groups:
- 3rd generation cephalosporins.
It should be remembered that the antibiotic treatment of chronic prostatitis is long, the duration of administration is 4-8 weeks.
It is prescribed to normalize the work of smooth muscles of the urinary tract. The duration of treatment is 4 to 8 weeks.
Any hormonal drug is prescribed only by a doctor on strict necessity, the funds help to reduce the intensity of the inflammatory process in the gland.
Provides relaxation of striated muscles, relieves pain and discomfort.
They are used only as an additional treatment, but not in its place. Phytopreparations help to remove edema of the gland, reduce pain syndrome and reduce stress on human organs.
In addition to long-term drug therapy, certain methods are prescribed to alleviate the patient's condition and prevent the exacerbation of the disease from returning.
The methods of physiotherapy are direct massage, microclysters with medicinal solutions, seated baths, low-intensity laser radiation, electrical stimulation, magnetotherapy, acupuncture.
In particular, massage, so unloved by men due to banal modesty, is indicated for the treatment of chronic prostatitis in almost all cases. Massage allows you to clean the prostate ducts, relieve congestion and inflammation, and normalize the functioning of the sex gland. Massage is performed at home or in a medical institution 2-3 times a week.
Indications for the use of surgical methods are acute conditions that pose a threat to a man's life.
Indications of surgical methods
With the total ineffectiveness of the conservative treatment carried out, however, the surgical intervention is not carried out in all cases. Indications for the use of surgical methods are acute conditions that pose a direct threat to a man's life:
- Urethral obstruction.With a strong narrowing of the urethra and the cessation of urine flow, urgent operation is indicated. Often phimosis is added to the obstruction, and then circumcision of the foreskin is also performed.
- Drainage for prostate abscess formation.A large accumulation of pus in the gland poses a direct threat to the patient's life (sepsis), so the task of the surgeon is to quickly extract and drain it.
- Restoration of seminal vesicles.It is needed when severely damaged as a result of inflammation. The operation is performed to improve the secretion removal function of the prostate.
- Complete or partial deletion.It is necessary for a significant hardening of the tissues.
Very often, men with chronic prostatitis make the same mistake - they use some method or drug as a treatment, despite the fact that complex therapy is prescribed. There are many arguments, but as a result, the disease remains untreated and manifests itself once with renewed vigor. Therefore, it is important to remember: none of the methods of treatment prescribed by the doctor should be ignored, the pathology will disappear, and the man will be able to live a full life.